Director Family Law and Domestic Violence
Practice Areas: DV specialization, Background in Family Law
Supervised by: Executive Director
Location: Highland Park (Lake County), Illinois
The Organization: The Highland Park-Highwood Legal Aid Clinic provides legal services to those in need in the areas of immigration, domestic violence and housing. Founded in 2015, the Clinic has experienced exponential growth, growing from one part-time employee to a staff of 8 in just under four years. The Clinic provides legal services to those who live or work in Highland Park, Highwood, West Deerfield Township, and New Trier Township, and accepts cases outside of those areas as capacity allows.
The Position: This is an exciting opportunity for someone looking to run a legal services practice in a rapidly growing non-profit organization. The Attorney provides legal services to survivors of Domestic Violence. Because the Clinic also provides immigration law services, the Attorney will work closely with our Director of Immigration Law on U-Visas, VAWA Self-Petitions, and Asylum Petitions where appropriate.
- Lead all phases of law practice, including intake and initial client interviews, drafting pleadings, engaging in discovery, taking depositions, drafting and briefing motions, appearing before the Family Court and Domestic Violence Court for Orders of Protection, Plenary Orders, motion hearings, trials and, if necessary, appeals.
- Work with immigration attorney if there is an immigration aspect of the case.
- Supervise, train, and support the professional growth of staff attorneys, volunteer attorneys and legal interns.
- Build, manage, and maintain relationships with outside counsel and other legal advocacy community organizations.
- Collaborate with team to identify, develop, revise and implement client intake systems, case management, litigation protocols and related systems.
- Develop and maintain relationships with external audiences and key stakeholders, including local partners who provide services like counseling and shelter to our clients.
- Community outreach, education and advocacy.
Minimum 5 years experience.
Proficiency in Spanish a plus.
Job Type: Full-time
Please contact email@example.com to apply
To get involved with the clinic, learn more about our volunteer opportunities here.